Well, it's noon. I'm getting started much later in the day than usual for me. Mornings are rough. I slept until 9, which is pretty unheard of... for me. MissS reassured me it was fine to take care of myself that way, and of course there's no particular reason to get up: I'm not going anywhere today, and no one is coming here. I can sleep as late as I want. It just feels strange.
Last Sunday MissS came over and we couldn't get into the pool due to the pouring rain, but we talked and made turkey burgers for dinner.
Monday she came back in the early afternoon, and she mowed the lawns, both front and back. It was so hot, and humid. I was so grateful. Some of those damn grasses were almost 2 feet tall. Then we both got in the pool-- it's been in the upper 80s in the water all week.
I also called the vet that day to make an annual appt for Missy, so she can continue her anti-itch meds.
Tuesday I was scheduled for the ultrasound, and got a text reminding me. Shortly after that I got another text reminding me of a mammogram scheduled for the next day-- Wednesday?? What the hell.
I showed up there at the appointed time, and after explaining/reporting the confusion over what was happening, after a looong back and forth, it turned out that the radiologist at last December's mammogram mis-spoke-- he recommended an ultrasound in June; he actually meant to say a mammogram.
So all this confusion was finally clarified, and they were able to do the mammogram that day. The US is only done "if warranted" (if something looks suspicious), so while I had to wait there afterwards for someone to read the mammogram, it all worked out; I am fine. Nothing suspicious. Repeat in December.
It was DrI's birthday, so I sent a text wishing him HB, and asked about his health. This time he responded with "episodes of arrhythmia", and since there was no cardiology dept anymore, he was waiting for his appt at the new cardiologist office up the road. First I was shocked at his having some troubling signs, second I was completely shocked by the news of the cardiology dept being closed. He mentioned something about "the new administration"... that's always bad news.
Wednesday I knew the bug guy was due between 12-2. This was a 2 week follow up so he shouldn't have charged me the $48 again, but he did. This will require a phone call tomorrow.
Later in the afternoon Bro and SIL picked me up and we had a leisurely drive up to pick up Dad, before heading to the clubhouse for another yummy dinner. Bro and I both had the chicken Caesar salad-- so good. It was a great evening.
Thursday morning I went to pick up my re-engraved and polished silver cuff bracelet, expertly and beautifully done by my jeweler at Masterpiece. I was so impressed-- I love the result so much. These engraved initials are from my grandmother's grandmother, Helen Brown. It must have meant a lot to my grandmother. I feel pretty honored to be wearing it.
After I got home, I got a call from an AlAnon friend needing to talk, so we did for half an hour or so. We both felt better after this. At 1:50 I'd been engrossed in a movie set in Revolutionary war times, with Spencer Tracey, when I happened to see the time and shot out of my seat. Missy had an appt at 2 at the vet! Fortunately all I had to do was put sandals on and grab Missy and her leash to jump in the car. We arrived 7 minutes later. Thank god the vet is literally just around the corner.
She was a shivering wreck, and glued herself to my side. We had to wait almost 40 minutes which is not usual there. But all is well-- she's gained a pound, so she is 13lbs 6 oz. Not good for a little dog who is supposed to be 9lbs. She still has the faint heart murmur; and her occasional choking spells which happen sometimes after exertion are probably nothing. I'm to monitor that, and watch for any other concerning symptoms. $140 for that exam and refill of her meds.
Friday I did household stuff, cleaning, laundry, reviewing finances. I had my appt at oncology at 1:10, arrived early as requested, and after the vitals and the labs were drawn I was shown to an exam room. Where I sat and waited until 1:45. Again, not usual.
Finally the NP opened the door and seemed surprised to see me, but said she'd get her laptop and start the visit. She is dreadfully slow, but there was a lot to catch up on, so it worked out all right. She and I are having a lot of the same issues, and compared notes and treatments.
She also suggested the antidepressant Lexapro. I declined, but now I'm wondering. She said I could call anytime if I change my mind. This was the third day when I didn't need to take a pain pill. But I do use the gummies if it starts hurting. Standing for longer periods of time really aggravates the pain, which goes shooting down my leg.
On the way home I filled up the gas tank, and back at home I got in the pool before the rain started. The pool helps so much.
Saturday morning at the meeting, I got to turn over the key to someone else. The meeting was based on a reading discussing the incredible amounts of money we spend (on fines, treatments, rehab centers, therapy, etc for our loved ones with addiction/alcoholism) before realizing nothing we do will help. The recovery has to start with the addict. (And no, I have not heard from my sons.)
Afterwards on a whim I stopped in at the Dollar General to see what they had; I found a couple of big plastic planters for my ever increasing collection of plants. I found some plant food, and a small plastic watering can, and a few other things.
At home I made a batch of cookie dough, and popped it in the fridge. Later MissS came over for pool time-- the temp was 88degrees. It soon became clear a big storm was coming so we had to get out too soon, and shortly after that the skies opened up. This was a huge storm with very loud thunder and flashes of lightning, and buckets of rain.
At one point during the storm MissS and I were watching a documentary on Sanibel before and after the hurricane in 2022, Ian. That was stressful enough-- the footage was just heartbreaking and the devastation was almost unbelievable. I was surprised at how triggering it was to look at. All I could think of was Hugo, so many years ago. I was so sad. It was hard to handle the tears.
Suddenly a gigantic explosion occurred, sounding like it was across the street. MissS had a direct view of this. She described it as an orange explosion and we both were shocked to the point of jumping, as did the cats, who scattered in all directions.
It turned out the transformer next to Chris' house was hit, and that side of the street and the next street over were without power for hours. (When the power trucks arrived, I could hear some of the neighbors shouting for joy, welcoming them. It took a few hours to repair--it was about 10:30pm when the trucks finally left. I had texted Chris who was alone, and asked if he was okay. He was appreciative that I had checked on him, and he was fine.)
When the documentary was over, I made our dinner, and she focused on making the cookies. These turned out spectacularly. I gave MissS half to take with her. She got back in the pool for a short time before leaving. There had been SO MUCH rain during this storm that the pool filled up completely, at least 2 more inches, so it looks like an infinity pool.
After she'd gone, I watched some shows on Hulu, and while also scrolling on Facebook I saw reviews of the concerts Barry Manilow is doing. This is his final tour, due to his recent diagnosis of lung cancer, and although I've seen him twice before, it's a wonderful show. I checked where he was in FL, and Jacksonville is the closest venue, in August. I had to seriously think about it, but... I splurged and bought two tickets.
Then I texted MissS and asked her if she would be interested. She responded that she wasn't really familiar with his music, but she'd go. She is an angel.
I also asked Sis if she'd be interested... and she had seen him before too and loved it, but was worried about the driving. (Same here.) In the end I agree with Sis that MissS will love it too.
This coming week I have no appts, nothing really except a trip to see Paul the groomer, since I didn't get to it last week. That will probably be on Tuesday.
I'm tired, and aching physically. My state of mind is just fuzzy mostly, and I am glad the worst of the outdoor chores are done. I just need someone with a chainsaw (Chris?) to cut up that freakin' huge wooden thing. My cardinals are still in the nest... but I think I saw a baby with an open mouth as I casually passed by that tree.
And of course the stupid Mexican petunias... an ongoing saga.
Still, I am so grateful for my life, my family, my friends.
TYG
I’m so sorry the documentary was triggering :(
ReplyDelete